Saturday, November 19, 2011

Road Trip Friday - Wilmington DE


Crab Nachos

Old Bay Steampot
Yesterday a friend and I went to Wilmington Delaware for the afternoon, specifically to go to Joe's Crab Shack.  I guess the Joe's commercials on TV are working if they entice me to drive 75 miles for lunch.  Joe's is located in the Wilmington Waterfront area which is really nice.  They have several restaurants, outlet stores and also the ballpark for the minor league baseball team the Wilmington Blue Rocks.  If you have a large lunch, this is a nice place to walk off some calories and look at the seagulls and boats and do a little shopping.

So, as far as my restaurant review - if you ever have a chance to eat at Joe's you should definitely go.  It's a quirky looking place that has so much stuff on the walls you can't even see the walls.  I had to laugh at the bathrooms - Dudes and Babes.  The food is huge.  No skimpy portions here.  The steampots are delicious with crab legs, potatoes, sausage, clams and corn and come in different flavors with different kinds of crab.  Being from Baltimore, I had to have the Old Bay steampot.  You have to try the crab nachos.  Unbelievable!  I also had hush puppies and clam chowder that were equally good.   It ended up being a little expensive, over $80.00 for two with tax and tip but you could get away with spending less if you don't try to eat everything on the menu.  The way I feel about it though, is if you're going to drive 150 miles round trip to go to lunch, why not splurge a bit.

No comments: