Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My First Win

Anyone who reads my blog has probably figured out by now that I love photography and it has become my all-consuming hobby.  I bought my Nikon DSLR a few months before I retired (and while I still had overtime).  One of my retirement goals to learn all that I could about digital photography and post processing.  Now, I have been "into" photography for most of my life, starting with my Kodak Brownie camera when I was about 10 and still own two Nikon film cameras but digital is a fabulous new ballgame.  Wow, remember the days when you didn't know what was on your roll until you got it developed?  I would send my film away in the mail to be developed and then tear open the package excitedly when it arrived just to be disappointed in how the photos turned out.  I used to say that I could take 50 pictures and maybe get one good one!  No more, LOL.  If it sucks, it can be deleted immediately.

I bought my first digital point and shoot in 2005.  Bought a better one in 2008 and learned a lot with those two.  I took a nature photography class from a local college in 2009 which really made me realize that I wanted a DSLR.  When I look back on those photos, which I thought were really good at the time, I feel I have come a long way.

I have been submitting my photos to various internet photography sites that run weekly and monthly contests.  I have gotten some feedback but no wins until now.  Last week I submitted a photo to DSLR.com and won!  No prize, but at least for this week I have "bragging rights."  This was one of my favorite photos from 2011 and I am very happy that it won.

See link below for my winning photo!

No comments: