Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Whole Foods and Doctors

This morning was one of those mornings that I have not had a lot of since I retired.  UGH, I had to set the alarm clock.  I had an appointment with my rheumatologist at 9am which, believe me, is extremely early these days.  I used to get up at 5am and be at work by 7am but I'm sadly out of practice.  I also can never estimate how long it's going to take me to get there and I end up rushing like a crazy person and there's always too much traffic.  But anyway, I made it, and all is well for another 3 months. 

I got out of there in about an hour and since I was near Mt. Washington, which is a really cool little area, decided to drive over there and see what was happening since I haven't been there in a while.  It's part of Baltimore City but you would never know it by it's quaint and quiet tree-lined streets.  One of my favorite restaurants, the Mt. Washington Tavern, was there until a few months ago when it burned down.  I drove by and it looks like they are busy getting it rebuilt.  The front windows are boarded up with two huge Ravens banners draped across them.

Mt. Washington is also the home of a Whole Foods store, which I have wanted to go to forever, and have just never had the chance.  I love "hoity-toity" food stores, and believe me, this has to be one of the "hoitiest and toitiest" I have ever been in.  Not like Wegmans, which has all the gourmet stuff on one side and pretty much a regular food store on the other.  Well, only if regular food stores sell books, cookware, appliances, etc.  Whole Foods specializes in organic foods and they have an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables.  The fresh meats and fish looked really good and they also have a great bakery.  I love all those chewy, crusty loaves of multi-grain bread so I definitely got one of those and a large slice of gingerbread.  My favorite thing though, was the hot breakfast bar.  Scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes with onions, Oh my, I had to get some of this to take home and it was wonderful.  So by the time my next doctor appointment comes around in 3 months it will be April and Spring will be on its way, I will have to take my camera and visit Mt. Washington again and take a few shots.  It's something to look forward to than just talking about my aches and pains.

1 comment:

Window On The Prairie said...

Oh Rats Debbie. I'm on a diet and trying to be good and then I read about all the food you saw at the market. You're killing me! :)