Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Prayers for Little Bird

Today I had a doctor appointment in a large medical building not too far from home.  The building has large doors on each end that slide open automatically and open into a long lobby.  I walked into the building and immediately something came flying at me with a "swoosh".  I ducked and then saw several other people duck and saw the small bird flying around in a panic.  There are always a lot of birds outside as there are trees and bushes and he must have gotten in when the large doors opened and couldn't find his way out.

The lobby was full of people and everyone was trying to stay out of his way when he flew behind an artificial plant there in the lobby by some chairs right where I was standing.  A lady and I parted the plant and saw him there and then he took off again.  I wanted to get to the lobby doors to open them and started walking toward them when the little guy flew right into the glass and fell to the ground.  People all gathered around him asking if he was OK and it seemed like no one knew what to do.  I heard people say not to touch him but I couldn't just leave him there.  I threw my purse on the ground and got out a tissue and gently picked him up.  He was a pretty little thing with a yellow breast.  His wings appeared to be OK because nothing was at a weird angle but he wasn't moving. 

So I picked him up and gently carried him outside and laid him on the ground just inside a large bush.  A young girl followed me out and she wanted to prod him with a piece of mulch, but I asked her please not to touch him.  When I went back into the lobby people were all asking me if he was alright.  I told them that hopefully he was just knocked out and would wake up in a while, it seemed to make them feel better.

When I came out of the doctor's office about 45 minutes later, I checked on him and he was still laying there.  I still have hopes he will wake up.  Should I have done more?  I don't know.  Been feeling sad all morning now. 

No comments: